February 19, 2015

Travel Throwback...Mind the Gap

I have wanted to go to London for as long as I can remember. Being an avid Harry Potter fan, I couldn't wait to see the iconic city, with it's vivid phone booths, bustling streets, and quaint townhouses. I had a master plan that I was going to live in London when I was older.



This past summer, we finally made it across the pond for a short visit to London, about 3 days. It exceeded even my wild expectations.
We flew into Gatwick airport and took the Gatwick Express into Victoria Station. The train was comfortable and quick, bringing us into the heart of the city within a half hour. 
Victoria Station was my first experience with London, and I was thrilled with the vibe of the place. There was every type of person imaginable going to and from train platforms, and the shopping and food in the place wasn't bad either! I picked up a gorgeous leather crossbody bag at Accessorize, one of my favorite stores. 
Our hotel was a short black taxi ride away, and our taxi driver had a sister living very near to us, and had been in New England only the previous year! It really is such a small world.

We stayed in South Kensington, a very posh neighborhood very near to the Natural History Museum, and King's College. I cannot put into words the beauty of this area. The townhouses were everything I had imagined they'd be, and the little side streets only led to more adorable little buildings. Boots and Waitrose, along with lots of restaurants and a Tube stop, were walking distance from our hotel.  It was a very quiet and safe area, so a perfect place to stay on a first trip! 

We wasted no time in getting out and exploring our area once we arrived. We walked to the Harrods area, got (a little) lost in Chelsea, and had dinner before turning in for the night. 



The next day was an unusual one. The temperature in London was 31 degrees Celsius, over 90 degrees Fahrenheit! We hadn't been ready for that at all, thinking we'd left the scorching July days behind in the US. We put on our lightest clothes, and set off. We had to take respite from the heat during the middle of the day in the National Art Gallery and Primark (my idea!). We also explored Trafalgar Square, and once it cooled off, took a tour bus around the city at dusk. 




The next day was a real touristy one. We got up and out in time to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace, which personally, I could've skipped. It was very crowded and stressful, and there really wasn't that much to see. Next time I'm in town, I'll go see Buckingham at a less packed time! 


Next we walked to Westminster Abbey, which was so worth it. The queue was lengthy and it cost a fair bit to go in, but the amount of history contained in that one building is astounding. For any History buff, or really anyone in general, Westminster is a must. 

We had our first glimpses of Parliament and Big Ben (who's actually not that big), and set off for lunch. 

That afternoon, my dad and I went on the London Eye. We were debating whether or not we should go, as it seemed like just another very touristy thing to do. If you are in London and have the opportunity to go on the Eye, do it. The whole experience was mind-blowing. The views from so high up were incredible, and I won't forget them anytime soon. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.





After that it was time to head back to the airport. Our trip is proof that you can get a real taste of London and all it has to offer in only a few days. I can't wait to go back someday, and I think I'll keep my promise to myself that I'll live there someday :) 

xox, O