February 19, 2015

Snowed In


With the recent battering New England has gotten with snowstorm after snowstorm, schools have been closed for days on end as the snow shut down roads and public transport. I personally have been affected with serious cabin fever.
In light of all the time stuck inside, I've come up with a list of "snow day essentials" to stay sane during the winter.


  1. Bean Boots. It seems as though these days, everyone and their brother is sporting a pair of the classic snowboots from the Freeport, ME based company. And for good reason. They are warm (when worn with a sturdy pair of socks), water proof, and wonderfully stylish! I've found mine can be paired with everything from leggings and a sweatshirt on a casual day, or cords and a cardigan on more put-together days. I've seen numerous style bloggers (namely Sarah Vickers) style theirs with tights and a skirt or dress. They are a fantastic way to stay stylish without sacrificing comfort in the snow, and I would be lost without mine! 
  2. A hot drink. This may be a very obvious pick for cold snowy days, but I have a few drinks I've been loving to stay toasty lately. I've recently discovered a twist on the classic Swiss Miss hot chocolate that makes it even more delicious. I make the cocoa as usual, with whole milk, and then I add a few pumps of caramel coffee syrup. It adds a new dimension to the drink that tastes like something you'd order at a cafe! I also have an obsession with homemade hot lattes. I make mine by brewing a dark roast k-cup in my Keurig, and heating whole milk on the stove (not to boiling point, but until it starts to steam). The latte is made by maintaining a 50:50 ratio of the coffee to the milk. Add sugar to taste and top with whipped cream! Drink from your favorite mug and enjoy the sense of calm that always accompanies a lovely hot drink. 
  3. Pinterest. This winter season I've been loving Pinterest, and not for the reason you may be thinking! Being housebound and unable to get to the gym, I've had to find new ways to attempt to stay fit. Besides shoveling the driveway (my arms and core are still feeling the burn!), my salvation has been the endless workout ideas on Pinterest. Here are a few of my favorite quick exercises to do: 




If you also live in a snowy climate, I hope you're staying warm this winter, and if you're somewhere warm, I am incredibly jealous! 
What are your "snow day essentials"?
xox, O